Saturday, September 09, 2006

#7 - Dad Who is in Construction or Some Other Trade

As some of you know, my Dad never really taught me a whole lot (and yes, my dad is Al Borland!). My brother taught me how to shave. At one of my jobs I was forced to learn how to use an electric drill. I had instructors teach me how to drive. So...I've got a few issues when it comes to Dads.

I used to be incredibly intimidated by anyone who was in construction or some other trade. I knew that I was totally out of my league, and I just felt like an idiot being in the same room...especially if they wanted me to help work on something. There was this girl I kinda liked a long time ago named Greta. Her dad was in construction and that was the first time I realized I didn't want a Father-in-Law in a trade, because I knew it would make me feel like a schmuck.


I can't honestly say this quality belongs on my list anymore, because I've developed enough skills on my own to not be as intimidated. I would actually love to have a Father-in-Law who knew how to fix things (how else would anything get fixed around my house??!). To go even further, I'd love to have a wife who was a carpenter. Now that would be gold! I really could use a custom-made desk and entertainment center.











(this quality was inspired by Greta and reconsidered by Amy Wynn Pastor)

4 comments:

Tyco Montoyo said...

I concur... I, myself am not gifted in 'trades.' Actually, according to my spiritual gifts test results, my weakest gift is "Helps"; Which is every other guys strongest... oh well.

Megs said...

haha, Amy Wynn eh!? I'm thinking you'd be more of a Leslie Segretey type...

DAve and JAnie said...

well dan, you are never going to get married now that you have revealed this trait of yours: can't build or fix. Everyone knows that men HAVE to be able to build, and women have to be able to cook. Gender roles hold our society together and without them who would ever know what they are suppose to do. People wouldn't have any sense of security, and women would be voting and in the work place. MY GOSH. Everyone knows these things and BELIVES THEM TOO.

I feel really bad for people that feel this way. I hope you do find a capable(what a weird looking word) person to build you a desk, and i hope she is a woman too!!! Dave build me a bedside table last year for my birthday, and he teaches me to hang things up on the wall. I hate it though because i hate measuring and marking and being accurate with tools. But when it some to most things dave is like the woman and i am like the man... emotionaly speaking, so lucky me, i guess i married a woman who builds!

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

you know meg, maybe i would have gone for leslie if she wasn't sewing all the time. (although, i would love someone to make me custom-made clothes that actually fit me)