Saturday, September 23, 2006

#19 - Drinks Wine


This post is partly inspired by Nancy, not because she drinks wine, but because she (like me) absolutely hates the wretched stuff!!! Gag me, it's like drinking urine (caution on that link!).

I just want to personally thank from the bottom of my heart Thomas Bramwell Welch for creating a substitute to communion wine and Stephen G. Martinelli for your protestant substitute at weddings.

But actually, it really has nothing to do with the taste of wine that bothers me about girls who drink wine. It has to do with the whole subculture of it. As we've already seen, some of the items on the List are there because they stand for something much deeper. A girl who listens to country music typically has that country way of living. A girl who is really into sci-fi tends to have a personality I'm not attracted to. So we come to wine drinkers (Sorry Janie, I smell another generalization coming on...).


I was trying to think of a way to describe a certain type of girl that I couldn't see myself with and I was reminded of an episode of Red Dwarf. Lister is upset because he believes the girl of his dreams has run off with some prude:

"Why do women always leave me for total smegheads? Why do they dump me for men who wear turtleneck sweaters and smoke a pipe? I mean, natural yoghurt eaters! Reliable, sensible, dependable, and lots of other words that end in "-ible." He's obsessed with house-prices, and spends half his life in antique fairs looking for bargains and drinking wine. It's never beer, is it, it's always wine! "What do you want on your cornflakes, darling?" "Oh, I'll have some wine, please!" Smeg!"

I am a messy guy. I couldn't handle someone who is high maintenance, I would lose it. I don't want to be with someone who appears to "have it altogether". I like that I don't always fret over my appearance or my shortcomings.


I'm also not much of a culinary expert. I don't really care how food is made, or what goes into it. I love burgers and pizza. I don't think I could be with someone who feels the need to go to fancy restaurants all the time and have elegant meals. Granted, time to time that's cool, and I'm willing to oblige in the name of romance, but it's certainly not my forte.

And I'm not even going to go into the social aspect of this type of lifestyle. I don't intend or desire to be affluent or to swing with people of such "significance". Wine drinkers are snobs who think they are better than everyone else!!!


So if you liked the movie Sideways I pity you...

8 comments:

Tyco Montoyo said...

Ya, I went to Stanford for a Notre Dame vs. Stanford football game. Every stadium has a spot for tailgating, and we walked through Stanford's tailgate section... However, this tailgate section was not your average...

Instead of drinking beer, they were drinking WINE!!! Here are these Ivy Leaguer's who are drinking wine with their sweater's tied around their necks...

talk about gay!

Megs said...

BAH HA. You should totally come to our friends wine and cheese parai, hahaha. actually i loath wine. pure and simple it's nasty. OH lister...he's funny.

ps. i just worked a eight and half hour shift and my feet smell *strike three*

Flip Flops Anonymous said...

Amen on the 'subculture', hoity toitiness of it all. I'll admit, I AM a wine drinker. But my friends fitting into 'high society'... Baha!! GONG SHOW!! We would be hucking the cheese across the room and having a massive food fight!! Plus, I'm clutzy and always shoot my mouth of during 'formal social occasions'. *sigh*. C'est la vie! I think I'll pour myself another glass...

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

hey megan, last night when I was in your closet my feet really stunk too...its chronic foot odor that is the problem!

Megs said...

haha you were in my closet!

Flip Flops Anonymous said...

that just sounds weird...hahah...

DAve and JAnie said...

I attend an Anglican church were we don't have the luxury of drinking grape juice to remember our Lord's blood... (ewww, ewww, i can never take communion without thinking of the stuff as literal blood, and that just disgusts me... anyway). The wine in those goblets is the worst i have ever tasted. It certainly isn't high quality. I think it is donated by people who realize they bought some cheap crap but don't want to waste it (anglican's are not as 'thrifty' as menno's though) so off to the church for a "good cause".
I think it must have been the first or second time that Dave took communion, and he returned to his seat with his awful, sick look on his face. He sat clutching his stomache in agony, leaned over and whispered to me "uuggg, i understand the suffering of Christ". Oh man!
Dave abhors alcohol and doesn't understand why anyone would desire to taste the crap. I, on the other hand, am always willing to mix up something delictible the smash back!
I think that wine drinkers fall into the same category as Dark Chocolate eaters: INSANE. I have some d. choc eaters among those i cherish and boy, let me tell you, when they head off to France and tell you they are bringing back the best chocolate from the best shops in that country, just run, run away, and close your lips tight. PUKE! And to watch them drink wine and eat d. choc at the same time...ick.

Yes, i am coming to abby october 7-14, but my momma lives in yarrow now, so i will be staying there and just coming out to abby to visit with people, and shop! I think teresa is going to throw togethering a shin ding! We should try playing spoons with bars of soap! and wash the fun back with some wine!
janie

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

haha, nice comment janie! i actually like it when the welch's is a little sour cause when you slam back the blood of christ, it leaves an aftertaste that bites.

hopefully i get to see you when you're out here...i'm gone that weekend though.