Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mates of State - Get Better


I like Mates of State...

I was trying to think of a Christmas present for Amanda. I wanted to buy her a CD so I asked Melissa for some suggestions, cause she has pretty good taste in music. Nothing was standing out to me, and time was running out. Melissa wasn't around for more suggestions so I looked on her facebook and tried listening to different bands in her favorites list. When I came upon Mates of State, I was done!

Instantly I fell in love with their songs. I went to the nearest HMV and thankfully found their newest album and bought it for Amanda. I then went home and bought it for myself on iTunes. So good!

The funny thing about that is...Melissa hadn't even heard the new cd, she only knew their older stuff. Turns out their sound has matured, naturally. So what Melissa was recommending unconsciously through facebook, wasn't even what I bought. Funny little accident in my opinion.

Before Christmas I went and visited Lesley on the island. This was just after I had gotten this album, so I was listening to it a lot. Whenever I visit Lesley it's like taking a violent roller coaster ride through my psyche. Think Willy Wonka, but the ride lasts longer than 5 minutes.


So many of these songs were sparking feelings in me, especially "Get Better." The line that continued to stand out:

Everything's gonna get lighter, even if it never gets better

I didn't really understand what it meant, but it was planting itself deep inside me. And today I get it (at least I think I do).

Another line is:

I propose a less serious boat

Sometimes you need to stop taking things so seriously. And as a result things might not get better, but they will be lighter. Which is what I need right now. I need everything to get lighter, even if it never gets better.

Charlie: This is kinda strange.
Grandpa: Yes. Strange, Charlie, but it's fun! Haha!

2 comments:

amanda said...

yes, yes!

Anonymous said...

glad I could help; feel free to refere to my musical interests anytime.

-melissa