Friday, March 13, 2009

Gargon!!!

So youth on Wednesday, we started to play Gargon. Simple enough game, run around trying to find flashlight pieces without getting caught by the Gargon. Except, within the first two minutes the Gargon was put out of commission. You see, I was the Gargon, and this is my story.

I had been chasing a few kids around the church, trying not to overexert myself because I know how out of shape I am. Standard stuff running up and down the halls, etc, when I decided to go down into the sanctuary to tag some more kids. I ran down the stairs and saw some of my prey, so when I hit the bottom of the stairs I turned quickly to make a hard right. That's when my ankle twisted and *POP*...I crumpled to the ground in pain.

I could still rotate my ankle so I figured nothing was broken, but it was still quite painful. As I'm lying on the ground writhing in pain some of the youth stopped to ask how I was. For most of them though, they just kept playing the game. I could hear them running by me trying to find the flashlight pieces. Unbelievably most of the youth that stopped to talk to me didn't ask how I was, but instead asked me for clarifications on the rules of the game. Like I really care about the game anymore!!! Don't they see that the main person in the game, the Gargon, is in terrible agony on the floor??!? Crazy.

So I gave the Gargon duties to someone else while I iced my foot. While I was sitting there, I thought, "So should I still do the lesson for tonight? Should I go to the hospital? I don't know what to do here." So I decided to leave the youth to just keep playing and went to the hospital. I was starting to feel nauseous and I wanted to start the long wait in the emergency room sooner than later.

I've never gone to emergency in Ladner before. I was hoping it would be a short wait like all my times at the Mission hospital, but no, I was there for quite awhile. It was an hour before I actually got into the ER. Then it was another hour before they took the x-rays. And then the doctor came and told me the news.

Mumble mumble, FRACTURE, mumble. I could hardly hear what she said. "Oh man," I thought, "Am I going to get a cast?!" Then she said, "It's only a sprain." Huh??? I think she must have said earlier that it's not a fracture. Oh well, haha, so she said a nurse would come and put a tensor bandage on it. Guess how long that took? About 45 minutes. I was so tempted to just go home and do it myself, but I wasn't sure if there were anymore instructions for me. Anywho, she bandaged me up and away I went.

Yesterday it didn't hurt much and was hardly bruised. Today the bruise has grown bigger and bigger throughout the day. Stupid thing. Now I'm walking around with a crutch so I don't put too much pressure on it.

And to think, I almost had my first cast!!!

No comments: