Saturday, November 22, 2008

Why Do I Give?


Good Question Dan!

Before we answer that, how about we ask, "Why Should I Give?" I'm not going to have all the answers, this is just off the top of my head.


- To show love for that person

- They are in need

- To break from my selfishness

- To remind myself I am part of a community and not simply individual

- To keep me humble

- To bring joy

- To reward someone for their hard work (that is largely unrecognized)

Okay, what did I miss?



Now to "Why do I give?" Once again, off the top of my head (and from others)...


- It is expected of me because of the time of year/situation (Christmas, Birthdays, Weddings, Graduation, etc.) and also because of the person (relative, coworker, friend, mailman, politician, etc.). If presents aren't give at the proper time to the proper person they might feel hurt.

- I know that others will be buying me presents and I need to match that or they will think less of me or be hurt

- Along those lines, if I want good gifts from others I need to get them good gifts. Therefore, I give good gifts so that I can get good gifts (or hopefully even better gifts!).

- So I don't look cheap (Ashley)

- To make people like me

- Gives me validation as a friend or loved one (A J Craig)

- To win the "game"; To be the one who gives the best and most memorable present that year.

- Love the feeling of giving a gift no one else thought to give (A J Craig)

- To feel good about myself

- To woo someone

- To top last years gift I gave

- And I'm sure I also give for the reasons I should give mentioned earlier...


As I write this all these negative emotions are welling up:

Disappointed
Frustrated
Confused
Panicky
Insecure
Overwhelmed
Criticized
Overlooked
Rejected
Undesirable
Embarrassed
Awkward
Ashamed
Average
Affronted
Singled Out
Entitled
Burdened
Obligated
Anxious
Apprehensive
Indecisive
Doubtful
Uncomfortable
Tense
Selfish
Immature
Jealous
Envious
Angry
Stupid
Insulted
Sad
Conned
Bitter
Wronged
Duped
Resentful
Debilitated
Despondent
Regretful
Mocked
Disregarded
Exploited
Unappreciated
Belittled

Dang, this is stupid! I should not be feeling this way about gifts, but these are all emotions I've experienced from past experiences of giving and receiving presents. So yeah, I'm kinda done with the way things have been done in the past. I need to change the way I give and receive presents and how I promote my new philosophy.

What are your thoughts???

3 comments:

Demara said...

I love receiving practical gifts and giving meaningful gifts!

A lot of thought goes into a good gift and that should involve asking the person beforehand I think. So as not to give someone something they would rather not have!

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

before we ask the question, "what types of gifts do i give?" i'm curious to hear, demara, "why do you give?" what is your motivation for giving people presents?

Ashley Ronnell said...

I actually love giving gifts that are like projects, that I can put a lot of effort into. Doing stuff like that gives me time to think of the love and appreciation I have for the person, and I generally have a lot of fun trying to put together meaningful and creative gifts.

But I really do dislike giving gifts when it's expected... that's when I'm giving them so I don't look cheap, or because I feel the need to reciprocate. That's also when I usually end up buying random things that aren't really meaningful anyways.