Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Gifts...oh gifts


So, Christmas is right around the corner yet again! And I've got this pebble in my shoe that won't go away. I am not happy about presents. I have a number of frustrations and I want to do a solid post about it, but I don't have the energy to do this now. Hopefully soon, but let me give you a few tidbits...


Awhile ago I boycotted giving people my Christmas wish-lists. I've since caved a little bit, but I'm regretting that.


I have railed against gift certificates many a time, but alas I have also caved and bought many of them.. Also something I regret.


My niece and nephew get way too many presents for their own good. I know we love them, but it's not healthy.


Why do we give gifts, really??? I think you have an answer, but is that REALLY why you give gifts?

So I will provide more clarity in due time.

5 comments:

Demara said...

I hear you! I only like practical gifts and that's what I tell people. Get me something I can use, something I need, not something that will just sit there and collect dust!!! What good is that for? That's just my opinion! I think Gift Cards are probably the best gift a person can give, really, though, that way at least they have the money to buy those things they really need with it. People always seem to have necessities don't they?

Freecycle is a great place for all that extra junk you have kickin around...just don't tell the giver of that junk, eh?!?!? right? :0) They may get offended.

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

wow demara, you started off your comment with "I hear you!" but everything after that is the complete opposite of what i was saying.

Ken A. Priebe said...

Hi Dan! I meant to say the other night that I also went through some similar reflections on this issue a few years ago.

Here are my thoughts on the issue...
http://scuzzbopper.blogspot.com/2004/12/christmas-healing.html

A J Craig said...

Honestly, I give em because I think it gives me validation as a friend or loved one. I love giving a gift that no one else would have thought that makes a person go, "Wow, I didnt even know that existed and yet it is exactly what I wanted!" I love that feeling but I also know that it is somewhat self motivated.

Another thought though is that I hate being told who and when I am supposed to gifts to

Ashley Ronnell said...

I mostly give gifts so that I don't look cheap. But I've been known as the family hippie for quite some time now and I've decided it's time for me to start acting like it. I will probably copy you and elaborate on this subject in a future post.