Sunday, November 09, 2008

Another Free T-Shirt

This weekend I was up at Whistler with the Sr High for our annual fall retreat. It was sweet! Probably the best yet...

So on Friday night I'm lying in my sleeping bag, falling fast asleep, when my phone rings! Huh??!? I pick up the phone, and it's Amanda (an incredible youth leader). It's 1am, why is Amanda calling me??? In my dreamlike state these thoughts came to my mind:

"Why would Amanda be calling me at 1am?"
"She must have lost her phone and someone else is calling me."
"Or maybe some of the girls are pranking me."

Therefore: I turn the phone off and go back to sleep.

As I lay there I realize, "Oh, it might be an emergency." Then the phone rings again, yes it is Amanda of course. This time I answer. "There's a drunk guy banging on our door, can you come get rid of him?"

Of course! So I put some clothes on and head downstairs, expecting to see a drunk guy outside their door. But let me tell you, it wasn't what I expected. Instead of an older drunk homeless man (like I thought), it was a scrawny australian guy wearing nothing but his briefs. Yes, it is the middle of the night in November and this guy has no clothes on. And he is losing it, which makes sense because he's freezing cold. He's swearing, he's shivering, he's banging on doors trying to get some help.

But the guy is so drunk he won't listen to me. I'm trying to help him and he just keeps babbling on about how's he's effing freezing. So he tells me he was in the hot tub, so I went over there and sure enough, there are his pants, shoes, and socks, but no shirt. Ok, so I bring them over and get him to put his pants on. As he's struggling with them, while still banging on doors, I flipped through his wallet to see if he had some information about where he was staying, but there wasn't much in there.

So he's finally got his pants back on and I think, well I should call the cops or something. But I left my phone in my room, so I went upstairs and grabbed it and also brought my sleeping bag so he could be warm. As I'm talking to him and trying to get him to put the sleeping bag around him, the cops show up! Turns out Amanda ended up calling them while I was talking to the guy earlier. So out of the car comes this one police officer, and then 3 more emerge from the bushes around the complex! That was weird.

So here I was trying to get some info out of the guy but he wasn't saying anything. Then a cop shines a light at him and he starts answering questions no problem. Oh, now he cooperates and talks like a normal person. Thanks buddy! I probably could have kept you out of jail, but whatever, they cuffed him and took him away. We all had a good laugh at his expense.

So I was talking to the girls the next day and pondering, "I wonder what happened to his shirt?!?" And they say, "Oh, there's a wet shirt on the ground outside our door." Sure enough, there it is, mystery solved. And that, my friends, is how I laid my hands on yet another free t-shirt!

2 comments:

arbyn said...

I would've thought you took his address down after you pilfered through his wallet.

But maybe that's just what I would've done. You just collect booty.

Well done!

Demara said...

interesting but crazy life you have!

Does the shirt fit? Or will you frame it???