Friday, November 28, 2008

Why Compare?


"The world in which I have grown up is a world so full of grades, scores, and statistics that, consciously or unconsciously, I always try to take my measure against all the others. Much sadness and gladness in my life flows directly from my comparing, most, if not all, of this comparing is useless and a terrible waste of time and energy.

Our God, who is both Father and Mother to us, does not compare. Never. Even though I know in my head that this is true, it is still very hard to fully accept it with my whole being."

Henri Nouwen "The Return of the Prodigal Son"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I really needed to see that, Dan. Thanks.

Demara said...

"Our God, who is both Father and Mother to us, does not compare."

This line spoke directly to me!