Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Two Homes

When parents divorce, it sucks. So why do some parents put even more pain on their kids? I don't understand who thought it would be a good idea to have joint physical custody. I know a couple families where the kids spend one week at mom's house and then one week at dad's house. I think that is purely selfish for the parents.

The kids I've seen that have had to live like that are never happy with their situation. Not only do they have to live in a different house every week (what adult would want to do that?) but they also have a completely different set of disciplinary standards each week. Yay! At Mom's house I'm not allowed to watch certain movies, but at Dad's house I am. Man that's gotta screw someone up.

So they get different conflicting parenting each week, AND they also get the joy of being used by one parent as leverage against the other. Yay again!

So what do I say? In most cases one of the parents is really sucky. I say they should realize they suck and let the other parent raise them full time. You can still have a relationship with your child even if they're not living in your house. Unfortunately, the thing that usually makes the person a sucky parent also makes them sucky at considering other people's best interests.

God have mercy on those children...

No comments: