Friday, June 19, 2009

G.I. Joe


As a child, I loved G.I. Joe with an incredible passion. Besides Lego, without a doubt my absolute favorite toy! When I became a teenager I decided it was time for me to give up playing with GI Joes so that I could have a chance to grow up. So I put them all in a box and hid them under my bed. Within a couple days I had already pulled them out to play with them again. I realized it wasn't going to be easy for me to part with my friends so I had to throw them all away. I cannot tell you now how deeply I regret that decision...I almost cry everytime I think about it.

So when I discovered they were making a GI Joe movie, I was slightly excited, but I knew it probably wasn't going to be so good. When I saw the first trailer, I really began to lose all hope. Then Dennis told me he was doing some CGI work for the movie. He also told me it was an absolute gong show. Everything was a mess and he was part of the clean up crew.


How could they even make a movie about GI Joes anyways?!? It's not like the GI Joes had any special powers or anything. Each one specialized in one thing. One guy was good underwater, another guy was good in the snow, this other guy was good with a crocodile, and finally one of them was Native American. As a concept it's lame. There's no way you could make a serious movie about them.


I mean, I loved the cartoon and I read many GI Joe based books, but the thing that made them fun was that it was ridiculous. Seriously, did you know one of the GI Joes main thing was that he was a football player? They took an actual football player and made him into a member of the GI Joe. What could he possible contribute? Oh, and they also added a WWF wrestler...yeah. It's that amazing!

So the movie is coming quickly upon us, and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Ha! In fact, I've already had two dreams about it. One dream I was watching the movie and thinking, "This is kinda good, I wonder when it's going to start sucking." But then I woke up and realized my dream was nothing like the actual movie. The second dream I remember thinking, "This is more like the cartoon. Yeah it's not great, but I kinda like this!" Then I woke up and realized once again, nothing like the actual movie is going to be.


Hmm, I still have to see it in theatres anyways. Uggh.

1 comment:

arbyn said...

I really like this post Coop.