Friday, June 26, 2009

Lost

A few months ago my external hard drive stopped functioning properly. I was transferring some files that Phil gave me onto the external hard drive so I could free up some space on my computer. Unfortunately, halfway through the process it stopped responding and I was forced to restart my computer which completely messed everything up.

This isn't the first time that hard drive has failed me. I should have known better. The first time it crashed was awhile ago, and luckily I didn't have very much on it at the time, but it was a pain. This time however is a different story. I have this obsession with collecting video clips off the internet. I've been collecting them for 3 years now. You can imagine how many videos I've put onto that hard drive. All that effort and time, potentially gone now.

But there was hope. There are a number of sites online that talk about recovering data that is lost. However, all of them charge a fee. I have about 200gb of data stored. That would roughly cost me about $250 to recover (and there's no guaranteeing it will even recover all my files). Was it all worth $250?

For the most part, the majority of the stuff I've found is still on the internet and can be downloaded again, but it would take time. However there are some things I got that either can't be found anymore, or are really hard to find.

Well, last night I decided to make the decision. Do I shell out the cash, or do I try my best to fix it for free? I came across this one program and it seemed hopeful that that could fix it. I knew it was a risk, but I went for it anyways. I honestly didn't think all of it was worth $250. And I got what I paid for. It did not work...I lost it all :(

I can see all my files, but they're all corrupted. You can't open any of them. I've been randomly clicking on them to see if there's a chance and so far I've only gotten one episode of SNL Celebrity Jeopardy to work, haha.

So how do I feel now that all that time and effort was wasted? That's a good question, and it's one that will require another post.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Ashley Ronnell said...

I was expecting a post about that dumb TV show you like so much, so I almost didn't bother reading. (Sorry you lost all that stuff.)