Sunday, May 31, 2009

Les Misérables


Last night I took Amy to see Les Misérables. I had never seen it before and neither had she, so I was pretty excited. We had seats right in the front row of the balcony directly in the middle. It was sweet!

The first song started off good, except you could tell something wasn't quite right with the mics. It sounded like Jean Valjean's mic was rubbing against something. "Oh well," I thought, "I'm sure they'll fix it next time he goes offstage." But then his mic completely cut out, finally coming back on except now it had a tinny sound.

And then partway through the second song this loud throbbing noise started coming out the speakers. It was weird. I was surprised they were having such difficulties during such a big production. Then to my even greater surprise a voice came over the speakers,

"Ladies and Gentlemen," The voice caused Jean Valjean to stop singing mid-sentence, "We are experiencing some audio difficulties and will pause the production to correct the mistake."

How crazy is that?!? The actors walked off stage as the sound team worked feverishly to fix the problem. After about 10 mins everyone was getting restless. No one knew what was going on. You could tell some people were getting frustrated. They wouldn't let people leave their seats because the show could start up again at any minute.


we saw this guy sing at least...

Well, after I think about 25 mins, the Guest Services guy came out and told everyone the problem could not be fixed in time and the show would be cancelled. I still can't believe it. What a tough break! The guy behind us booed, which I think was completely immature, but thankfully many people clapped in support of the decision.


but we didn't get to see this part...

As a pastor of a church that has constant technical difficulties I could feel the pain of everyone in the production. What a letdown for them I'm sure. I hope they were not too discouraged by it. That's just life sometimes!


or this part...

Thankfully we have a chance to rebook tickets for a later show. I just hope we get good seats again...

1 comment:

Ashley Ronnell said...

That is so weird! But funny. Can't wait to see the friends competition results.