Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh Wait, I'm Not Alone...

Did you feel like something wasn't quite right about this previous post? Like it was lacking something or just maybe too one-sided? No one commented so I don't know what you thought about it.

"It is not good for man to be alone..."

Maybe you thought I gave a compelling argument that we are always alone. Well, I disagree...with myself?

We are never alone. We are so connected and intertwined with so many people that at no given time are we really alone.

I am the product of thousands of years of humanity. Sir Isaac Newton once said (maybe), "If I have seen farther, it is because I have stood on the backs of giants." He didn't discover the laws of nature by himself. He discovered what he did because of all the hard work done by his forerunners. I am directly influenced by my parents, my siblings, my friends, my teachers, etc. The thoughts I think are not my own. They are not "original". They are the result of a million causes from other people.

I am not alone.

When I am by myself, do you know what I think about? I think about you. I'm always thinking about you. I try to get away from crowds so I can be alone, in front of the computer, on facebook and msn, because I am lonely. I want to connect with you. I don't want to be alone.

When I am alone, I think about our conversations and our experiences. I think about the next time I'm going to see you and what we'll be doing. I think about ways to make you feel good about yourself, and ways that I can make you happy. I think about how I've screwed up our relationship and how I want it to be better.

When I dialogue in my head, I am not alone. I am imagining everything you would say and do. These imaginations are not based on fantasy but on fact and past experience. I know you so well, that your being is imprinted in my soul.

The more I'm apart from you, the more I lose that connection with you, and I forget what you would say and how you would react. And then I see you again in real life and it's awkward, because I feel alone again.

I can feel alone, but I am never alone.

I am all alone now,
with all of you.

And you will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

(and when i say you, i am talking to multiple specific persons)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I read a book, that was written with a man's scissors, all about being alone. The pages are filled with cut out pictures and cut out letters that express the man's void in his heart, when he realizes- he must find a way to convince his heart that he is not alone. He begins to find ways to tell himself "I am not alone" such as carving the words into the soles of his shoes. Great book. You are not alone dan.

-melissa

Anonymous said...

Please update us on the Friends competition.