Sunday, April 12, 2009

Don't Pick on my Friend!!!!

K, this has gone on long enough. I won't sit by while you put my friend down again and again! How can you be so inconsiderate??!?


Of course, I am talking about rain. Today's a wet day. We get these every once and awhile in the Lower Mainland. Lots of people get complainy on days like today. I think you should shut it...

Yes, I agree, rain makes the mood gloomy. A dark grey sky does not typically arouse feelings of joy. I get that. And rain ruins your hair, gets your clothes wet, and makes the ground muddy and roads slick.


But I strongly believe it is worth it. Let me share with you why I am in love with rain:

1. It slows life down. Too often we get rushy and busyness overtakes our lives. When the rain comes we drive slower (hopefully) and people tend to stay inside more. Our mood tends to become calmer and introspective.


2. It is relaxing. The sound of falling rain is so soothing. A rainy day inspires us to curl up under a warm blanket with a cup of tea in front of a roaring fire. Now that's the good life!


3. It waters all our plants and gardens and grass, producing amazing results when the sun comes out. If you want sunny days without the inconvenience of rain, why not move to the desert?!? Gee, cause maybe we need rain to make things pretty and our food delicious?!


4. Seriously, the water cycle is probably one of the most brilliant things God invented! Without rain we wouldn't have fresh water, umm, pretty much the greatest thing since fire.

5. No rain = no rainbows! Everyone loves rainbows. I saw an amazingly brilliant one just the other day driving into Ladner.


6. umbrellas, raincoats, gum-boots, and puddle-jumping!


7. Some of the best movie scenes are in the rain: the upside-down Spiderman kiss, Evie experiencing freedom for the first time in V for Vendetta, Rachel MacAdams and Ryan Gosling embracing in the Notebook, Gene Kelly singin' in the rain, Zach Braff and co. yelling into the infinite abyss wearing trash bags, etc...

8. Everyone I know who loves soccer, says it's best in the rain (I kinda like football in the rain).

9. Prevents forest fires.


10. I find it simply beautiful. Aesthetically pleasing, refreshing, and romantic.

Oh please, please, stop slagging off rain. I'm tired of all your whining about inconvenience. The rain does so much for you, so you should show your appreciation!

4 comments:

amanda said...

6, 7, and 10 are my reasons. i'm glad you like it too.

amanda said...

also, number 2. that's what started it all.

Shane said...

the only thing rain is good for is first kisses cause those are best in the rain

Anonymous said...

Dan, I did move to the desert. Not to avoid the rain, but because this is where my job is. I totally agree with you: rain is gorgeous, and I miss it dearly.