Friday, February 20, 2009

The Return of Lent

Lent begins once again this Wednesday. As per usual, I will be giving something up for Lent. This season is based on Jesus' 40 day fast that he took in the wilderness after his baptism.


For me, it is a time to center myself on Christ and surrender my will again to his. I give up certain comforts of my life to remind me how much more important Jesus is in life than luxury. If you know me, you know that each year I give up the same things and then add something new. Well, I've modified it a little, but the spirit remains. Here is the list of what I'm giving up this year:

Pop
Chocolate
Watching movies/DVD's by myself
Playing video games by myself
Fries
Hamburgers
Fast Food (excluding Subway and Quiznoes, of course)
Popcorn
Coffee
Slurpies

I don't tell you I'm doing this to brag...on the contrary I'm telling you this so that you'll help me remain faithful to this promise.

One problem that I've realized is that I said I'd watch all of Hitchcock's movies by March 15, but Lent starts this Wednesday. My goal is to watch all the not so good ones by Tues, but that will leave 5 more to go. I won't be able to watch them alone so I need your help! Anyone interested in watching any of these movies with me?

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934 version)
Secret Agent
Rebecca
Lifeboat
The Paradine Case

Also I invite you to fast along with me...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Count me in for "Lifeboat"!

Jaclyn_Rose said...

watching ANY of these movies...not EITHER of these movies :)

Ashley Ronnell said...

Come to Calgary, we will watch one with you. See you soon.