Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Legend of Zelda (Geek Alert!!!)

As mentioned in my previous post, I won't be buying anymore video games. However that rule does not apply to Zelda games! At the beginning of June I made a goal to beat every one. I've still got 4 more to go, plus new ones will be coming out and I'd like to play those too. So what is it about these games???

In 1996 I was looking through my friend Greg's collection of Super Nintendo games. It was then that I came across one titled "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past". Hmm, it looked interesting to me so I asked if I could borrow it. My life has not been the same since!

I absolutely love the Zelda series of video games. I love it so much, in fact, it's about time I finally beat them all! Let me tell you about each game...


The Legend of Zelda


Released: 1987
Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System
The year I beat it: Unknown

I've owned this game for a long time, but only made it about 75% through. The cartridge I bought has a faulty battery so sometimes it'll erase everything I've done. One day I'll beat it though! The frustrating thing about this Zelda game is that you can't move or shoot diagonally. Other than that, it's really fun!


Zelda II: The Adventure of Link


Released: 1987
Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System
The year I beat it: Unknown

I haven't played too much of this game. The strange thing is, it's mostly a side-scroller. I'm not a huge fan of Zelda II, but I haven't given it a fair shot yet.


The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past


Released: 1992
Platform: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
The year I beat it: 1996

The first Zelda game I played and finished. So original and so much fun! I loved the mix of action plus puzzles.


The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening


Released: 1993
Platform: Game Boy
The year I beat it: 1998

The second Zelda game I beat. I bought it when I worked at Walmart. Greg and I worked at Sherwin-Williams Paint Store together and would often take turns playing when we should have been working. Sometimes I would work with this lady named Janet and I would hide in the back and play it (there was nothing else to do, the store didn't get much business).


The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time


Released: 1998
Platform: Nintendo 64
The year I beat it: 1998

The third Zelda game I finished. I traded Goldeneye for this with a co-worker at Walmart. This game was epic for me. They translated Zelda to 3D in the most remarkable way. When we traded back I discovered Corey's younger brother had erased my Goldeneye file. I had completed everything. It took me forever to get that final cheat code. Now it was all gone...


The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask


Released: 2000
Platform: Nintendo 64
The year I beat it: 2000

The fourth Zelda game I finished. A lot different from the others, but still really cool. I loved the time travel and the moon slowly crashing to the planet. This game I bought from Rogers video for $10 and then sold it after I was finished for $8. I was quite proud of that.


The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages


Released: 2001
Platform: Game Boy Color
The year I beat it: 2009

The ninth Zelda game I finished. An interesting thing about this game is that it's linked with the next game on this list by passwords. So when I beat Oracle of Ages, it gave me a password to start Oracle of Seasons with some of my information already included. It also opens up the game a bit more. You also don't have to start with Ages, you can start with Seasons and finish the same way.

One thing I didn't really like about this game was a few parts are side-scrolling and are almost exactly like Super Mario Bros. Not sure why they felt the need to include those sections.


The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons


Released: 2001
Platform: Game Boy Color
The year I beat it: Unknown

Just started it today. It looks to be as fun as Oracle of Ages so I'm looking forward to it!


The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker


Released: 2002
Platform: GameCube
The year I beat it: 2002

The fifth Zelda game I finished. I bought a Gamecube just so I could play this game. The system cost me $100. I rented Wind Waker for a couple weeks and then sold the Gamecube to my cousin after I was done for $75. Dennis often makes fun of me because I pretty much locked myself in the house until I had beaten it.

This game had completely different animation than the previous games. I thought it was cool, but it was more cartoony and wasn't as epic.


The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures


Released: 2004
Platform: GameCube
The year I beat it: Unknown

In the near future I will be purchasing this game.


The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap


Released: 2004
Platform: Game Boy Advance
The year I beat it: 2009

The eighth Zelda game I finished. I actually bought this game a couple years ago when I was travelling to England but didn't get very far in it. In June I started playing it again and loved it! It didn't take very long to beat, but it was still fun.


The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess


Released: 2006
Platform: Wii
The year I beat it: 2007

The sixth Zelda game I finished. When I was housesitting for Pastor Dave a couple summers ago I had the privilege of playing this on his son's Wii. Probably my favorite game of all time. I would get up super early just to play it before I went in to work.


The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass


Released: 2007
Platform: Nintendo DS
The year I beat it: 2009

The seventh Zelda game I finished. I saw it in Costco and craved it, so I bought a Nintendo DS and this game from Willow Video Games for much cheaper. I'm not a fan of the DS. It's not easy to hold and my fingers go numb after awhile. The buttons are also not in the greatest places and it's really frustrating actually. At first I wasn't happy that this game almost solely uses the touch pad rather than the controls, but I actually got kinda used to it. I just found it really difficult using a second weapon.

The animation is the same style as Wind Waker and looked really good on the DS. I loved this game and had a lot of fun with it. I liked that sailing was more enjoyable in this game than in Wind Waker.


The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks


Released: 2009?
Platform: Nintendo DS
The year I beat it: Unknown

Not yet released. This one will have a train theme!

6 comments:

kortney said...

What about:

Link: The Faces Of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure

All on CD-i.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda%27s_Adventure)

I just one upped your geek level.

Jaclyn_Rose said...

What's lamer than Dan playing every Zelda game?

Me watching him! haha (well I definately didn't watch ALL of it, but even watching any of it is lame!)

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

sorry, i should have clarified i'll only be playing the Nintendo-published games.

Braeden said...

Zelda is pretty amazing, I've only ever played 4 of those games though, but you may have inspired me to try more... And did you know that Wii is coming out with another Zelda title?

SHorton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

first of all, I'm reading all your past posts because you just told us you had a blog ("now that we're graduated") and fully understand your love of zelda.
When I was in elementary school, I would watch my brothers play ocarina of time and majora's mask like one would watch a tv show. It was amazing. I have the minish cap and I made it all the way to the final boss but because of my irrational fear of video game bosses (I actually feel afraid when I have to fight them), I never beat it haha. Just thought i'd let you know.
- Olivia