Sunday, December 07, 2008

"It's a Girl!!!"

That's what I was hoping to hear...but instead,"IT'S A BOY!!!"


Jackie was due on the 24th, but unlike myself, this baby decided to show up early. On the 5th Jackie's water broke, but she wasn't having contractions (or something like that, i don't really know how this all works). so the doctor sent her home and she came back in at 7:30 in the morning and they began the process of labour induction. Everything really started kicking in at 12:30 and that's when Jackie had the funnest time of her life!

2 hours later the baby entered the real world much to everyone's delight. I was at Stillwood with the youth helping out with their Single Mom's retreat, so I finally got to see the little guy today. Of course I didn't even touch him, haha. I think I'll wait till I have a kid of my own before I try taking care of someone else's.

So at 7 lbs, 4 oz my newest nephew is finally realized. And he shall be called Finnian Benedict Sweeney. I noticed at the Single Mom's retreat that all the kids had uncommon names. I think that's the latest trend, and I'm glad to see Conor jumping on this cultural bandwagon. I really like the name personally. I can't wait to call him Finn for the rest of his life. That's awesome! And I will think of Huck Finn when I say that. As we all know Huck Finn is not your conventional middle class white boy. He breaks the social norms due to his background and upbringing and sees life from a fresh perspective. He's also kinda lazy! My kinda kid...


I forgot this story, but Jackie reminded me tonight that the baby first start kicking when Jackie saw Pope Benedict at World Youth Day in Australia. That's why they choose Benedict for the middle name (plus I think they think he's a cool guy).

When I thought of that name I began thinking of Phineas, but I couldn't remember where I heard that from. So then I Jackie&Daned it and guess where I know it??? Harry Potter!!!


Phineas Nigellus Black. The least popular headmaster in Hogwarts history. Great-great grandfather of Sirius Black (Harry's Godfather). He is a snide, sarcastic fellow. He has little patience for the feelings and the problems of others, particularly young people, whom he finds tedious and self-absorbed. So along with Finn, I will also be calling him Phineas...

Which personality do you think he will grow into?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dan! Being an uncle (aunt for me)is super cool, and nephews are totally fun. Enjoy this new addition while he's tiny, and grow with him :) You'll do great!

Demara said...

Woohoo! Congrats.
And personality?
His own.
Considering he was not named "Huck" and his name is not spelled with a "P".
I can't wait to see an-out-of-the-womb shot of this little guy!