Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the girl of my dreams - #5


5. witty but not full of herself

witty - "amusingly or ingeniously clever in conception or execution"

if you are not witty, then there is probably no point in dating me. i will find you boring if you are not witty. i need to be with someone who i can have witty banter with. if we don't click on this level, we will not click on any other.


to be witty and to not be full of oneself is a tall order to fill. i think you need to be somewhat full of yourself in order to be witty. but not completely full. i think what Megan is prophesying for me is a girl who is witty and 96.7% full of herself. Let's pause here and have a short discussion about humility.

am i a humble guy? no, i'm quite full of myself. but am i good at acting humble? yes, most definitely i can always appear to be humble. yet, by acting humble i actually become humble. follow my logic with this hypothetical scenario:

1. a friend is not happy with something i have said

2. in my mind i know i was right and they were wrong

3. i pretend i am humble and offer to listen to their perspective

4. my friend now has the impression that there is a possibility i am wrong

5. in listening to my friend's perspective i realize, "oh crap, i was wrong!"

6. i apologize and our relationship is restored

don't you see, even though my original intentions were not humble, by pretending to be humble in the end i am humbled and show humility? so there you have it, i am not a humble guy by nature.


so i don't care if you are full of yourself. but i do care if you can't even pretend to be humble.

No comments: