Thursday, August 30, 2007

Albi, the Racist (well, not anymore) Dragon - Day Two


Today our job was to help out with Union Gospel Mission. I also had a Mystery Event scheduled for the evening and everyone was pressuring me to tell them what it was (but I wouldn't give in, muhahaha!!!). In the morning we had a wonderfully tasty pancake breakfast.


I must be telling a story, but I don't remember which one.

We loaded up the van and made our way downtown. We signed in and got our "official" badges. Our first task was to help with the lunch. Some of us became servers, some dishwashers, and some tray collectors. There were too many of us for the assignment. It was good, but we didn't really work that hard. The best part of the job was getting to wear hair nets. I don't remember taking mine off?!? The second best part was wearing these white paper hats.


Eric, Braeden, Shane and I were on tray collection. We had an excellent system going. Eric would get a tray from someone. He would then pass it to me. Then I would pass it to Braeden, who would pick the garbage off (napkins, cups, etc.). Then he would pass it to Shane who would dump the food in a separate dispenser. Then he would pass the tray to the dishwashers. There were a couple situations where 3 trays came in all at once and I didn't think we would survive, but we persevered and always came out on top!


Braeden working hard.


Ben started spraying people with water. That was kinda funny until he totally shot me in the ear.

After we went and had lunch we returned to do some cleaning. Most of us disinfected all the chairs in the chapel (front, back, and underside!).


Others cleaned the walls, and still others wiped all the banisters and swept the stairs. One moment was a little scary at first, but soon turned into something I laughed a lot about in my head. Janelle went to spray some disinfectant or something and she didn't realize the nozzle was pointed directly at her face. She then proceeded to squirt a good amount directly into her eyeball. I thought I might have to take her to the hospital, but she was alright. Haha, she sprayed it right in her eye!!!


Some of us also went outside and cleaned the windows.


We had a little bit of time to walk around after cleaning before supper started. We found some petrified firefighters and got our pictures taken with them.








We also went to this waterfall garden park place. I never did see the red pidgeon, but I think a bunch of youth got their pictures taken with it!






We went back and helped out with supper. I was amazed that every time we left and came back the UGM people would freak out that we had left with our "super important" badges. I thought supper was going to be tough, but they didn't even need us at all. I wish I had known when they really needed our help. We finished up early, and it worked out good cause Erika had to come late to Seattle, because she had to work. She showed up and we dropped her stuff off in the van.


So now it was time to do the Mystery Event!!! I don't know if people were really impressed, but they should have realized I really didn't have anything planned. We went to Pike Place Market and looked around for a bit. I noticed that Spiderman was going to be there later and I really hoped that we would get a chance to check him out. Jeff and I got split up from the rest of the group. I bought a super sweet T-shirt. We tried some disgusting new Starbucks drink. It was horrible. Then we listened to some outdoor music, while a crazy old guy covered in brightly colored scarves danced around us. I should have danced with him, but Jeff was a little self-conscious.


Notice how I'm admiring my new t-shirt.

We managed to catch up with everyone outside this Greek food place. Janelle got a gyro and it was falling apart all over her, that was funny! Then Shane came out of nowhere and gave a sunflower to Christina. It was really touching...until he saw Erika coming, ripped the sunflower out of Christina's hand and gave it to Erika. What a gentleman! When it came time to go I was disappointed I never got a chance to see Spiderman. Then, much to our surprise, there he was getting his picture taken with people! Right away, there was something that "stuck out" about his costume.


See if you can "point" it out.

We went back to the church and had a session together. We talked about the differences between the two homeless meal programs. Most people commented how much more fun it was to cook with the homeless and to actually sit and eat and chat with them. We also spent some time doing the Lectio Divina with the story of Jesus and the Woman at the Well.


Once again I was quite tired so I went to bed pretty early. I was falling asleep and who do I see coming towards me? Why, it was Shane of course! What kind of Grad trip would this be without Shane trying to jump in my bed and snuggle with me??? Immediately I yelled at him, and much to my regret, in my groggy state I yelled at him, "You're such an IDIOT!" Ooooh, that wasn't very nice of me. I felt really bad after saying it. I was upset because I really need my sleep and of all the people to wake up, I really should be left alone...but that was uncalled for.

The rest of my sleep was great, except of course in the middle of the night some people with flashlights tried all the door handles outside. That was a little freaky, until I realized it was a security company. Peaceful dreams followed now that I knew we were safe.


End of Day Two.

2 comments:

Spencer said...

I will never look at Spiderman the same again...

Ashley Ronnell said...

Yeah, his nose really did look funny sticking out of his face like that.