Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Shortest Day In England - Day Five

Because of the late night I had and other various reasons, I slept in on New Year's Day. I slept until 3pm!!!!!! Do you know what time it is in Ladner when it's 3pm in London? 11am, which is the precise time I wake up at when I sleep in. All the hard work adjusting my body to the jet lag was instantly flushed downed the toilet!!!!!! I came downstairs and everyone thought it was funny I slept all day. I was so out of it, I'm not even sure what I did that night. I think I played Monopoly with the "Family". They have this new version that has "Electronic Banking". Instead of using paper money everyone has credit cards and you swipe them through this handheld device to transfer money and whatnot. Just not the same...

So we had supper and it was good. And then I went to bed at around 8! Oh brother. Woke up in the middle of the night of course and went downstairs to watch TV. They have so many music video stations. I like those. They also had a lot of gambling channels. That was weird. Basically what it is is, they give you a puzzle or question and you call in to see if you get the answer right. For example, they had, Name a movie that starts with T. They have 8 movies already picked out, and you have to guess which ones they are. Costs money to phone in, and apparently, you might not get chosen to go on air, but you are still charged. It was actually slightly entertaining watching the announcer guy or girl fill time waiting for people to call in. Here's an example of what the shows are like:


A really big phenomenon over in England is Big Brother. It's a lot bigger than it is in North America. At night they have the show on live so you can watch the housemates, even though they're usually sleeping, but sometimes engaging in late-nite chit chat when they can't sleep. During my stay there, Celebrity Big Brother had just started. Face from A-Team was on it and so was Jermaine Jackson (Michael's bro). I thought that was interesting, seeing as how they're not British. I didn't really know the other contestants, except Jo from S Club 7. This version seemed really lame. Most of the celebrities didn't even seem to want to be there. In fact, I think during the course of it 4 of them walked off at different points.

So I eventually went back to sleep at like 4:30 or 5. What an eventful day...

4 comments:

NATASHA said...

Boo for Visa monopoly... you can't cheat then, that is why I always loved to be the banker. I guess you could learn about debt and insanely high interest rates while trying to have fun.

Spencer said...

Hate to say it Dan, but you may have mixed up your times...I think that it would be 7am here when it is 3pm there

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

yeah you're right spencer, i make a mathematical error! therefore, i woke up at a time that is really early for me to get up...

Spencer said...

No worries Dan,

It still is weird to wake up and realize your 8 hours ahead...