Monday, February 19, 2007

Cathedral and Castle - Day Eight

I slept in a bit, but managed to muster some energy for the day. Roblyn and I went into Lincoln to check out the cathedral and the castle there. I was excited!



Lincoln Cathedral was used in the Da Vinci Code film. The movie was okay, I liked the book better of course. The whole place was quite impressive. I am speechless...here are some photos:









Probably the biggest highlight for Roblyn and me was the "Lincoln Imp". Legend has it Satan sent two imps to reek havoc on earth. At some point they reached the Lincoln Cathedral and caused a stir by turning over tables and knocking over the bishop and whatnot. An Angel came out of a hymnbook and started attacking them. One cowered away while the other threw rocks. The Angel managed to turn the rock thrower into stone! The other imp fled. It took us awhile, but we managed to find the Lincoln Imp. By this one pillar we saw this box that said "20p to light up the Imp". What amazing light would shine down on the Imp, we thought! I hope you're as dazzled as we were from this photograph of the historic event.


20p well spent!

Right beside the cathedral is the castle. We walked over and here is proof!


Lincoln Cathedral from the castle tower


Every house is the same colour with the same chimneys in England


Inside the castle


The tower with the cathedral in the background


The old prison inside the castle


Atop the castle wall

Both places were really cool! I'm glad I woke up so we could see them. When we got home the "kids" and I got to play Roblyn's favourite game, "Hide and Go Seek". Haha! I laugh just thinking of Robyn rolling her eyes as she reads this. We played a few rounds and I had a brilliant time, but Robyn could barely put up with it. That evening she told me, "You should be their nanny...they like to do geeky things like you do!" Amen to that...if I had known about such fun I would have signed up for it after high school instead of working at Walmart. That evening we had a wonderful supper where two of the "kids" nearly killed each other in a fight. That was lovely. One more day in Lincolnshire and I would be out of that madness...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... what a breathtakingly stunning cathedral!! If I were worshipping there, I imagine I would be quite distracted by the beauty of it all – no wonder they don’t build churches like that anymore!

that's us... said...

yeah...i've just gotta say WOW!!!
what amazing sights dan- too cool!

Jaclyn_Rose said...

I just have to say that I am tremendously jealous of you!! I can't believe you went to a real castle!!

Anyways, that was an amazing cathedral - was it Catholic?!?! (inside joke - tee hee hee!)

Ashley Ronnell said...

That hello back there was pretty lame, but I will de-shun you anyways.