Sunday, February 04, 2007

The "kids" were buzzed - Day Four

I woke up Sunday morning refreshed and ready to take on the world. I went downstairs to find the kids playing video games with Robyn. They were playing a game called "Buzz!"


"Hosted by the computer animated, ever-smiling Buzz and his assistant Rose, the game makes it seem like you are in an actual quiz show, complete with buzzers, theme songs and canned audience clapping/laughter." - Wikipedia.

Those are the buzzers that you use instead of regular controllers. I was amazed. I had never seen such devices! I got to join in on the action and slaughtered the competition. We were even playing the Music version which has a lot of English bands I had never heard of. Why couldn't they make something like this for Canada??!? How frustrating...

Tonight was New Year's so everyone was getting excited for the festivities. "Grandpa" gave Robyn money to buy some beer, so she, the "daughter", the "youngest son", and I went in search of some. We went to the nearest small village place, but the store was closed! We had to move on to some place else that was bigger. It was there that we found the beer! Boy, that was an exciting story!!!! I did enjoy driving around and seeing the neighborhood though.

The "youngest son" wanted to play Monopoly, but no one else did, so instead we watched a movie. Can you guess which one??? It was Mary Poppins!!! I really enjoyed it, it was much better than the play. As the day progressed the topic of magic tricks somehow surfaced and right away I was excited to show off some of my skills. It wasn't long before we were amusing each other with various card tricks and pulling balls of light out of our noses and magically making toothpicks form into stars. I should mention at this point that Robyn was not nearly as amused by this as me and the "children" (let's just say I was on top of the world and Robyn was rolling her eyes).


I've been doing magic since I was a kid and it was incredible to meet people who were actually amazed by it! There was only one other time in all my life when someone was impressed by my magic. I was doing a card trick for Dennis involving my "magic hoodie". You take a card from the deck, memorize it, put it back, I pass the deck through my magic hoodie and the card magically moves. This time I was still wearing the magic hoodie and I had the deck in my hand. So after I took the hoodie off Dennis says, "that would be fast if you did the trick already". I looked at him and flipped the top card showing his card had in fact already moved! I don't know how the magic hoodie works, but even passing the deck through the sleeve like that provides unpredictable results.

So anyways, the kids were having so much fun with the magic that they decided to put on a special "magic show" for our New Years Eve Bash. We had a lot of fun...I think everyone left with a sense of bewilderment and awe.


The food was amazing! They had prepared this huge spread of desserts and appetizers. Mouth-watering! Everyone was especially excited because this was the maiden voyage of their brand new chocolate fondue.


It was time for the countdown. We watched the London broadcast on the telly. The fireworks were amazing at the London Eye by the Parliament Buildings. We each had these exploding things that shot out stringy stuff. And, well, you know how things are in Europe...it wasn't long before the "kids" were downing the champagne. They're hyper enough as it is!


I have doctored these photos to protect the identity of the "Family".


Robyn wore her new outfit she got for Christmas. Love the pearls!


This dog barked at me a lot, but with my Dr. Doolittle charm I won her over in no time.

Thus ended 2006 and Day Four of my journey. Robyn and I stayed up kinda late chatting about life and such. Who could foresee what 2007 would bring us??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen that dog somewhere before. I can't be sure, but he's familiar...

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Oh you and your magic tricks - I think that I liked your tricks, I just didn't like it when you wouldn't show me how they worked!!

Those little things that shoot streemers, how cool are those!?!? We had them at Christmas here - they were alot of fun!

NATASHA said...

hmmm... it does sound like you are good at video games...

arbyn said...

why didn't you protect my identity?

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

because everyone knows you Robyn...the only reason I'm protecting the "Family" is because you do.