Monday, March 05, 2007

You Can't Keep a Good Dog Down


This weekend I went on a retreat with the Sr High to Stillwood Camp. We went last year, it was pretty sweet. This year was a whole different kind of sweet. One of our youth, Matt, asked me on the ride there if I would join him for the Stillwood Idol talent show. Hmm, "what was I getting myself into?" I wondered. He asked me to lip-sync with him to the song "You can't keep a good dog down" from the movie All Dogs Go to Heaven. I reluctantly said yes. He played the song for me and I just scratched my head...you can't be serious!?!! I love a good lip sync, but this song, I just couldn't see it being any good. I didn't have faith.

Well, I had agreed to do it, so I got started on learning my part. Matt was very persistent with me. I don't think he had faith I could pull it off. Well, we had to go and audition before a couple judges to get into the competition. As we got up there, I thought to myself, "I'll give this the best I've got, but I can't see this going anywhere." I flubbed up a few of my lines, but I still put my heart into it. After we finished they asked, "How do you think that went?" I replied, "I think we did pretty good." They said, "You did better than good, that was awesome!!!" What??!??! I was shocked.

So now I'm getting a little pumped for this...we actually have to do this in front of everyone now. We practiced a bit more and worked out some new choreography for the main performance. Matt was so excited about it. I was terribly nervous, but Matt kept reassuring me (I think he was just getting annoyed and wanted me to shut up).

So it was time for the performance. The host announced, "And now for something completely different..." and up we go. As we're going through it I can't really see what Matt is doing cause I'm looking out at the crowd. From what I've been told he really put everything he had into this. After we were done everyone cheered and applauded us. We were happy, the judges gave us good reviews and off we were to our seats.

When it came time to announce the winners I leaned over to Matt and said, "You know, I think we might jsut have a shot here! I think we'll probably get third." Matt was like, "Of course we did good, I'm the king of lip-syncing!" The judges come out. They announce 4th place, wasn't us. They announce 3rd place, no dice. They announce 2nd place, again, not for us. I'm on the edge of my seat, I can't believe this, we might actually win!!!! "And the winner of 50 chocolate bars is....Charlie and Itchy" That was us! I'm speechless, I cannot believe we have just won. What an experience.


Itchy (Me) & Charlie (Matt)

Matt was on cloud 9. Afterwards, we're outside talking and laughing with some of the other guys. This girl comes up to Matt, "Excuse me, where was that song from?" "Oh, that was from All Dogs Go to Heaven." "Oh, that was it! I've seen that movie." Matt seizes the opportunity, "Have a chocolate bar for recognizing the song!" Smooooooth. She takes a chocolate bar, high fives me, high fives Matt and starts to leave. She starts to walk backwards and looks back at Matt for one last comment, "I like your hat..." Fireworks are bursting in the background!!!! When she turns around the other guys go nuts congratulating Matt on a job well done. What do you expect? He's the king of lip-syncing!

I also have to add...our good friend Shane Tarnow also appeared as the final act of Stillwood Idol. As his alter-ego Tony Wonder he performed illusions that left everyone speechless. I hope to have the video posted within the week, so stay tuned...

3 comments:

Megs said...

AWE i love that movie!! and i love that you guys did it! can't wait to see the video!!

what about the rest of the camp!? how did it go!? sorry i didnt' ask you about it today i was still a little flustered over being embarrassed in class ;)

arbyn said...

I was hoping Matt would be doing something really funny behind you while you were giving it your all.

The whole way through I was waiting in anticipation for that moment when you found out what he'd been doing behind you while you were singing with your eyes closed.

However, your ending was good too. Congrats on the win.

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

i guess i wasn't very clear in my storytelling. let me clear a few things...i didn't have my eyes closed, we were just standing side by side and i was looking out into the audience the whole time. i never saw what he did for his performance, but everyone was cheering for him and going nuts. i wish i could have seen his expressions and dance moves. there's no way he'd be doing anything ridiculous, he was really taken the whole thing very seriously.