Sunday, March 25, 2007

My Last Day In London - Day Thirteen


I stayed up the night before planning what I would do in London to maximize my stay. But of course, I was worried the jet lag would keep me up again. But guess what???!? With one day left in the trip I finally overcame the jet lag and had an incredible sleep!!! Unbelievable...

I had thought about taking a sightseeing tour on one of those double-decker buses, but I changed my mind and decided to just check out a few things. My first priority was the British Museum. I ended up staying there for about 3 hours.














The Rosetta Stone


















The infamous "Blue Hippo"


















Just playing some ultimate frisbee

After the British Museum I had lunch and then wandered around a bit looking for souvenirs and that football jersey for my brother, Mike. I finally found the jersey in one store but they only had two sizes. One was too big and the other was too small. Not to mention it cost 60 pounds (roughly 140 Canadian dollars). Sorry Mike. Instead I found him some shot glasses. I had a hard time deciding whether to buy him the one with Prince Harry and William on it or the one with Princess Diana. I opted for Princess Di and much to my surprise he loved it!!! Haha.

I decided to check out St. Paul's Cathedral. It was designed by the famous architect Christopher Wren. I loved it inside, it was so beautiful. I wasn't allowed to take pictures. Here is what it would look like if I were to secretly take pictures without the people around me knowing:








When I was in high school, my brother Kevin took me to see a play by Agatha Christie called "The Mousetrap". I remember him telling me it was the longest running show in British Theatre. I knew it must be playing still in London, so I searched it out and got tickets. It was quite fun, but I could sorta remember the ending so I wasn't surprised. Actually, the ending seemed a little anti-climactic. I would say Agatha Christie's play "And Then There Were None" is much better.

One interesting bit of trivia for you: One of the characters in the play is named after Christopher Wren. Funny that I should see the Cathedral he designed and the play with his name in it all on the same day. What you might not know is this...when I originally saw the play with my brother I liked the name Wren so much that I decided I would name one of my future kids that. Except I decided to call him Reynold and then spell it Reyn for short. I will often use this name in video games and it is one of my email addresses. It came close to being my camp name also, but secretly I like to think of myself as Reynold Cooper.

All in all I had a wonderful day in London. It was a little lonely without Robyn there for those last few days, but I still had a good experience. I headed back to the Watts' and fell asleep thinking about all the wild and wacky adventures I had been through. What an awesome trip I had...I cannot wait to go back!

No comments: