Monday, March 19, 2007

Edinburgh Castle - Day Eleven


I had hoped to wake up early and catch as much of Edinburgh as I could in such a short time. Unfortunately I woke up at noon to the sound of the maid knocking at my door. I had totally slept in!!! I was supposed to check out at 11am. I quickly threw all my stuff in my bag and left. I didn't even have time for a shower! Awful...

So now I only had a few hours before my train left and the one thing I really wanted to do was see Edinburgh Castle. After I got inside I realized I was going to be sweating a lot from hauling my backpack around so I changed into shorts. I got a lot of funny looks because it was winter there and quite cold.


The main entrance


Inside the Castle


Edinburgh from atop the castle wall


Mons Meg


Dog Cemetary


Scottish National War Memorial


Lots of swords in this room


A fireplace


Another fireplace

Edinburgh Castle was really fascinating. There were a lot of things to see and they have a number of different museums and exhibits inside. I was so out of it though, because of my sleep, that I would start to listen to my audio tour and realize minutes in that I hadn't been paying attention. This happened at most stations.


Me hanging out with royalty


Stairway to the old prison barracks


Recreated prison barracks

After the castle I walked around for a bit. These pictures are from the main road leading to the castle:






While walking around I remembered what Ingrid Watts had told me when I was in London. In Edinburgh you can apparently get a deep-fried Mars bar. I was curious to know what that was all about so I started asking people if they knew where I could get one. I was quickly pointed to a chippy shop. I went in and saw it on the menu! The lady said I could have a Mars bar or Snickers, so I went with Snickers. I have no idea what she did, because she went into the back to make it, but when she came out, there it was...


At first I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have to say, it was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted! The chocolate bar is completely melted on the inside and it was total gooey goodness.

My time in Scotland had come to an end. Next time I go there I'll stay for much longer. I got on the train and headed for Manchester. In the rain I found the hostel I had scoped out online. It was a great place...really cheap and very nice facilities. Of course, I couldn't sleep much so I ended up watching tv and using the computer in the common room until 4am. Then I went back to my room with 10 other people in bunk beds and fell fast asleep.

2 comments:

kinneyland said...

Deep fried chocolate bars have always sounded really creepy to me. Although I'm sure that it would be tasty.
As far as you and I go, I don't have anything for you and you don't have anything for me. Unless you forgot to bring something up b/c you didn't mention anything

Ashley Ronnell said...

My favorite is the dog cemetery.