Friday, August 04, 2006

I've Travelled to Foreign Lands

Why have I not posted for weeks? It is because I have been living on foreign soil the past week. I decided it was time for an adventure so I packed up and went to the most exotic place I could think of...Disneyland!!!



I love this place. This is the third year in a row that I have gone and each year it gets better and better. I took two of the grads from my church with me, Shane and Kyle. They provided a unique flavor to the whole trip. Let me just point out a few highlights from my experience.

We woke up early to get into Disneyland right when it opened the first day. We were so pumped as we walked through the bag check headed for the main gate. I turn to talk to Kyle and whammo! I slammed my knee right into one of those stupid cement mickey mouse ear park benches.



Dang it! I haven't even gotten into the park yet and my knee is mangled. So for the rest of the trip I was hobbling around everywhere.

By far our favorite ride was Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.



We went on this ride more than any other! Basically you get in these little carts and shoot at targets trying to help Buzz Lightyear defeat the evil emperor Zerg. What a ride! As Kyle put it, "We should be able to shoot at things on all the rides." It's a Small World is the first ride I'd nominate for onboard guns.

Another highlight was Shane. Going to California would not have been the same without this character. There is so much I could say about Shane, but I will save it for my next blog.



On Sunday morning we went on Snow White's Scary Adventures.



Now this ride is quite spectacular, but Kyle made it even more exciting. As we're riding through the mine part there's a chest of gems and jewels. So Kyle pretends to reach out and steal some. Just then I hear something and Kyle says, "oh no, I just dropped my watch." His watch fell off his arm and is now in the middle of the ride! Shane's most used line for the trip has been, "What time is it Kyle?" and now we've lost our only watch! So we get off the ride and decide to go on it again and snatch it up. As we're going through the mine again it's pitch black and we didn't see anything. The watch is gone. Then Kyle says, "Maybe it just dropped in the cart and not on the track." So we remember that our previous cart was called Doc. As we get out to go tell the lady, I look at the name on the cart we were just in and sure enough, we were riding in the same cart as before. I point it out to Kyle, he looks inside and says, "hey, here's my watch!" It was right beside him the whole second time!!!

Next on the list is the Jungle Cruise.



I went on this ride two years ago and loved it, because the driver did an amazing job with the corny jokes. This year we went on it 3 times! Not because it was so amazing, but because the first driver sucked, and we wanted a better experience. But then the second driver sucked too!! And so did the third!!! What a disappointment. But I do have to say that some of the jokes were well done. I will now post our favorite part of the whole Jungle Cruise...

Boat pulls alongside a ledge showing layers of rock.

"
See that rock right there, it's actually made of limestone, but many of my crews just take it for granite." (everyone groans)

"My sediments exactly." (groan again)


"Just a few geology jokes for you. They rock!" (outrageous laughter overcomes the vessel)

So those are just a few of my highlights. There were so many more, but I don't want to bore you any further.

Now, as the Jungle Cruise Captain said at the end of our voyage. I have two last words for everyone...GET OUT!


8 comments:

kortney said...

I want to go to Disneyland. Hrmph.

DAve and JAnie said...

When you wish upon a star! Did you sing it as you entered the park? I would. I have not ever (i guess the word would be never!) been to this place you are writting about. I have been close: Mexico Trip(whoo, whoo! Watch out teresa). But then we went to six flags. I think you should sacrifice your fourth trip next year to my family. It could really be a altrustic act because really, how could anyone find any pleasure or self satisfaction in giving away a well earned (i am assuming) trip to The Land?! I just want to help you on your quest for selflessness. This would top them all. Think about it at least.
Poor, starving, homeless, magicless Janie.

rachel joy said...

Magicless in Prince Rupert as well. I was supposed to go in Grade 10 but the trip got cancelled at the last minute because my poor Papa got kidney stones. My parents had been planning the trip for months and only told sis & I about it a few weeks before. It was down to THE DAY we were supposed to leave, and Doc said no. And so I wait for the magic ... *sigh*

Elle said...

i jealous. :(

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Dan - I sent you a belated Happy B-day msn message...if you didn't get it

"Happy happy birthday, from all of us to you, we wish it was our birthday, so we could party too, HEY!!"

Happy late Birthday Brother

Anonymous said...

Blog hopping is fun, especially when you are actually supposed to be working. I am in total agreance in that the ride, "It's a small world" should have guns onboard-I was really creeped out by all the little characters slowly moving around and around, I think it is the longest ride I have ever been on.

Megs said...

YAY i'm SO glad you found my blog! Phhh work...honestly your a youth pastor ;)

Megs said...

i found you in the yearbook!