Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Two I Didn't Expect To Impress - Part Four

My Summer Movie Countdown Continues...


11. The Incredible Hulk


10. Hancock


09. Wanted


08. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


07. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian


06. Get Smart


05. Iron Man

I was incredibly reluctant to go see this movie, but I was hearing such positive things about it! I think I was mainly turned off because Dennis told me he hated it...so I just wasn't gung ho. But I love Jon Favreau and I was super curious to see what he would do with a comic book movie (btw, has anyone here seen Zathura?!?). So I finally brought myself to go see it...and I absolutely loved it!!! But can I really pinpoint what I liked about it?? I'm not sure...nothing REALLY stands out to me, but I'll try and give some of my favorite aspects:

Robert Downey Jr. is incredible in this role. I've heard a number of people say this movie wouldn't have been good without him, and I think I agree. He brought such an amazing personality and humour to the role. A job well done in my books! I like Robert Downey Jr. now that I think of it. There aren't many movies he stars in that I don't like (oh wait, Incredible Hulk!).

Well, overall it's just a really fun movie. The action is great, the humour like I said is great, the characters are great. I really enjoyed the evolution of the suit and it made me feel like a real part of that experience (that sounds geeky...but I guess I am so?). Also, I like the direction they went with the villain/villains. You know, it really is hard to clearly say why I liked this movie. I enjoyed the whole experience and didn't look at my watch once...that says a lot coming from me.


04. Speed Racer

Speed Racer??!? Are you kidding me, Dan????? You LIKED Speed Racer?!?!?

Oh boy, I loved it!!! And the thing was, I totally didn't think it would work. I love the Wachowski Brothers and I was curious to see what they would pull off. I didn't watch any previews so I had no real prior knowledge of what the story was about or anything. But I heard things, a lot of negative things. Even my main man Roger Ebert wasn't too impressed with it:

"
They have captured (almost) all the chintziness, inexpressiveness and incoherence of the TV show in two hours and nine minutes, or about two hours too long, give or take."

Oh Ebert, that's harsh! Others made comments like the dialogue was horrendous, the plot was too complicated for a kid's movie, yada yada yada. And all my friends were saying, why do you want to go see that?!?! But I did go, I plowed through all the criticism and negative reviews and had to see it for myself...

And once again, I LOVED IT!!!! Visually it was incredible, most people will agree with me there. The design, the colours, the cgi, the action, it was spectacular! But as I followed the plot and listened to the dialogue I couldn't get what people were whining about. I thought it was excellent. I really enjoyed every minute of it.

And of course, how could you go wrong with Matthew Fox??!? I am so smitten by that guy, it's not good...he was awesome in this movie!

I must admit, I was worried about the ending...as the movie came closer and closer to the end I couldn't help but think, "If this ending doesn't pay off, I think it'll ruin the movie for me." Because really, it's a loooong movie, and as you're nearing the end all you can think is, 'This is going to end like every other racing movie..." But I tell ya, the ending took me by surprise. Now I don't want to spoil it for you (even though I don't think you really care, haha), but I'm going to tell you what I loved about it. If you're like me, I'd recommend not reading the next few lines. M. Night Shyamalan has this way of ending movies where all of a sudden the twist comes up, and it's usually the same. Something climactic is happening and then the main character has a flashback which either reveals to us something hidden, or sparks a past memory that fits in with what's going on. The music is kinda dreamy and the atmosphere usually puts you on the edge of your seat. Other movies end this way as well (murder mysteries for example). Well, this movie took that concept and tweaked it. At the end as Speed Racer is nearing the finish line, he begins to reminisce in this flashback style, but it's not like a twist ending. Instead, time slows down as he remembers all the best moments of his life...his racing, his parents, his brother, his girlfriend...he focuses on all the reasons he has for living. Hmm, I just can't capture it with words, but it took my breath away. It was such a heartfelt conclusion to the race.

So yeah, I think this movie was superbly made. I loved all the dilemmas Speed had to wrestle with in his life as a racer. What more can I say, this film swept me off my feet!

Next Post: The Top Three - Part Five
Maybe you can guess what the top three are...but can you also guess the order???

2 comments:

eric b. said...

My predictions are:

1) The Dark Knight
2) Wall - E
3) Hell Boy II? <--- only other blockbuster I can think of...

Anonymous said...

wow! i'm amazed! you liked xfiles so much you put it in the top3...musta been all those jumpy moments ;)