Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Peaceful Journey - Day Eighteen


Don't really know why I took a picture of myself?!?


Today was kind of strange...I felt like God was telling me to pray for the front desk person. Don't really know why, but I've been getting these urges lately. Well, I totally chickened out and I absolutely regret it. To be honest, this trip was not a good place for me spiritually. I had these opportunities to push myself and trust in God, but I was a wuss. It still haunts me...coming back from NZ I wasn't really in a good place. I've been challenged more recently by this as well, but I'll save that for another blog.


After checking out I found an internet cafe and got some info and wrapped up some loose ends. Then I made my way to Cape Reinga. I got to this quaint little beach area called Paihia. It was so nice...I couldn't resist walking around and checking it out.




In the distance what did I see, was that someone para-sailing??? I found a tourist place, signed up and jumped on a boat.


I didn't get someone to take a picture of me, but you can pretend I'm up there. It was so intense...it's like you're just hanging there over everything with nothing around you. Oh man, I was pretty freaked out. The guy was saying something about being able to hang upside down or do the superman while you were up there, but I was too scared. I also wasn't exactly sure if that was okay, I was just in this little harness. Plus I had my glasses on and I was a little bit afraid they might fly off. Oh boy, after doing that I'm not sure if I want to go skydiving now.






You're probably wondering, "Why is this picture here?" Well after I left Paihia, I kept heading north and had to take a bathroom break. I pulled off at this rest stop only to discover it was way off the beaten path. Very strange considering all the other rest stops were easy to get to. My little car wouldn't make it through so I didn't bother, but after this point the driving got very interesting! It was uphill and there were many switchbacks, but the thing is, the road was totally curved so you could fly around these things at fullspeed. It was like being on a rollercoaster, so much fun! It was even better coming back down later. Oh man, I was just flying around all those corners.

I came to a small place called Kaitaia. You can sign up for this bus tour from there that'll take you all the way up to Cape Reinga. I signed up for one of the tours that leaves the next day and also a hostel on the beach nearby. When I drove out there I was absolutely amazed. Of all the hostels I've been to in life this was by far the best! It was a sweet house with big rooms and nice beds. Everyone was super friendly there. It was also right by this massive beach. I went for a swim, emailed a few people, read Slaughterhouse Five and went to bed.

End of Day Eighteen.

No comments: