Sunday, January 13, 2008

I Went to Australia?!? - Day One


The rumours are true, I did travel down under and I lived to tell about it. Actually, I've been up to a whole lot the last 3 months...and I didn't tell you anything about that, but I promise I will! But first while the memories are still fresh I would like to share with you my 3 week adventure to the Land of Oz.

My adventures began on Tues Dec 18, 2007 when I stayed up all night getting last minute work done at the church. I didn't get out of there until 3am. I then went home and started packing my bags. But in the midst of that, I wanted to do something fun...so I did this:


Wow I look tired...

So with all my bags packed and ready to go I had some much needed sleep. In the morning I realized I had forgotten one thing at the church!!!! Blah, so close! I had this huge list of things to do and I thought I had done it all, but missed one small slip of paper, my confirmation for the flight between Melbourne and Sydney (and then when I was in Australia they actually re-emailed me the confirmation the day before as a reminder, so I didn't even need it!!!).


I got Josh Krueger to drive me to the airport and we had some lunch together and talked about life and school. It was good times. Then I was off on my flight. I was so out of it from lack of sleep and everything, but I tried to be excited. My first flight was to LA on Air Canada. I wasn't excited about that, because I flew with them to England last year and it wasn't the greatest experience. But I was surprised when I got onboard. The plane was really nice. The seats all had tv monitors and you could choose what you wanted to watch. It was better than Westjet cause they even had movies. So the flight down I watched most of the Simpson's Movie.


Switching planes in LA was no big deal. When I got on the plane though I discovered I was in for an interesting ride. The girl beside me was so talkative. She was flying home to New Zealand from England. Strangely enough she had met another Kiwi on the previous flight and he switched seats around so they could sit together. This worked to my advantage, because then she was talking way more to him than me. She was nice and all, but just a little too enthusiastic for the mood I was in. (I wonder what she thought of my moustache, haha).


On that flight you could play Tetris. The girl was bragging about how good she was. Of course I killed her records (Tetris and Dr Mario are two of my spiritual gifts). I watched LA Confidential while everyone nodded off to sleep. One funny thing was the girl was going in and out of sleep and for some reason she took a glass of water when the steward went by, but I knew she was just going to fall asleep right away and sure enough, she fell asleep holding it and it spilled into her lap, haha!

I slept a little and watched a little more tv and finally we landed in Auckland. Now comes the crappy part! I had a 6 hour layover at that airport. That was hell. And I had accidently left my iPod on while flying to LA so the battery was pretty low, so I couldn't watch any movies that I had brought on that. So I found a secluded spot and got a little sleep, but it's not easy in an airport for me.


So I finally was up and away and headed to Melbourne. I watched most of Live Free or Die Hard. Wow, this first day is really exciting! You never thought my flying experience would be so thrilling, did you??? Oh, one fun thing...the guy I sat beside on that flight was absolutely terrified, haha, he kept looking out the window and clenching the seat and jittering the whole time. Classic.


In Melbourne I took the bus into the city to meet up with Conor. It was now Friday afternoon. From there we made our way to visit Jackie at the bookstore she works at. She was soooooo excited to see my moustache! I don't blame her, it was a thing of beauty. She was also really pleased to introduce me to everyone with that moustache. The rest of that day wasn't very eventful, or at least I don't remember what we did, I was so tired. Jackie set me up with a cot and I pretty much fell fast asleep that night.

Thus ends Day One.

3 comments:

Shane said...

let me guess that girl on the airplane was married right?

Jaclyn_Rose said...

about me being excited about the mustache, just add a NOT! to the end!

Dan, technically you were sleeping in a "fold out bed" as a "cot" is a babies crib! haha

Megs said...

hahaha! i love that you have fun with your facial hair... you really do love yoru mustaches eh??! haha, well day one ...ick it made me cringe thinking of fog head and sleeping on an airport floor..too many bad memories!