Sunday, January 14, 2007

I have returned! - Day Fourteen


After 17 hours of travel I finally arrived home last Wednesday night. I thought the tube would take me an hour to get to Heathrow Airport, but it turned out to be more like an hour and a half. I thought I was cutting it close getting through security. Once I got to the Air Canada check-in area though, I couldn't believe how long the lines were. Thankfully I had checked in online the night before, so I just had to check my bags in at the self check area. I got into a line of about 6 people. I then stood in the same spot for an hour. Turns out all the computers for Air Canada had crashed so everything had to be done manually. It was chaos and pandemonium. Once I finally got up to the counter the guy was like, "There's no direction here, no one knows what to do." Hehe, good times.

So, I finally get my bags checked and proceed for the gate. The security line was pretty long, but it wasn't much of a hassle. I was planning on buying some candy and a magazine before getting on the plane when I notice the computer screen that says last call for my flight! I wasn't too worried, cause I knew our flight had to be delayed with all the computer problems. So I skip the candy and head for my gate. A little ways down I see another computer screen saying my flight is now closing!!! What??!? I couldn't totally believe it, but I didn't want to be stuck in the airport so I started to walk briskfully. Our gate was the last one, it took so long to get there. Upon arrival I notice a long queue, signalling to me that I didn't have to rush and I could have easily got some candy. There was a guy who ran all the way there and he was sweating so badly he took his shirt off.

Anyway, I get in line and as I get to the front the lady is like, "Do you have this paper?" which of course no one had given me. So me and a bunch of other people had to wait around while they got papers for us to fill out. Finally we get through that gate and now we're in the boarding area. I was so thirsty. It wasn't surprising to see an "Out of Order" sign on the only pop machine in our area. Another hour passed before they let us on the plane.

So now we're sitting on the plane and after about 30 mins the lady comes on the speaker and says, "We will be leaving shortly, sorry for all the delays." A couple seconds later the captain comes on, "If Peter Nielsen is on board, would he please make himself known to the flight attendants, paging Peter Nielsen." A couple minutes pass, "This is the final call for Peter Nielsen. If Peter Nielsen is on this plane connecting from another flight he needs to come speak to us right now. This is your last chance." A couple more minutes pass, "Attention folks, we need to take all the baggage off and sort through it before we can leave. We will be sitting here for about another 30 mins." Unbelievable. Turns out they put Peter's bags on our plane, but he wasn't even on it, so they had to go through the luggage to find his and take them off.

There were a few good things about the flight though. Everyone had a heck of a time getting their seats figured out cause they were just given random seats and so some seats were given out to more than one person. I am so glad I checked in online the night before because I actually got to pick the seat I wanted and it was by far the best seat in economy! 12A...Front row so I can stretch my legs out and have lots of room to get out if I needed to use the toilet...Window seat...Right by the toilet...Plus I had my own little tv set, which no one else got, they had to look at the big screen which isn't all that visible from certain seats. I got to see "The Illusionist" which I had wanted to see for awhile (I liked the Prestige better). And after the movie the captain said, "If you are on the left side of the plane you have a wonderful view of Comet McNaught." This is the best picture I could take before my battery died.


You can look at more pictures of it at http://spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_mcnaught.htm

All in all the flight wasn't bad...but I was getting antsy to get home. Once we landed I noticed it was snowing a bit outside. That was unexpected. After going through customs and getting my bags I was so excited to meet my mom at the entrance and get out of there! But unfortunately, she was nowhere to be seen. I waited for about 15 mins then tried to call her on the payphone. Turns out she couldn't make it to the airport because the snow was just dumping, so she got Pastor Dave to pick me up. I hung up and walked around looking for him. Not there either! So I called 411 and got Dave's phone number, called him up, only to discover...Shane was actually going to be the one to pick me up. So, I hung up and walked around some more looking for Shane. Nothing! So I called 411 again and got Shane's phone number. Called up his house, and Janelle let me know that he was outside waiting for me! Finally!!! I went outside and there he was just coming around the corner. He had been circling around quite a few times.

But, my journeys didn't end there, because of the snow and the rush hour, it took us 45 mins to get home from YVR, a trip that normally takes 10 mins. But I made it, and I had an awesome sleep that night!

That was a long story. I hope I bored you as much as I was bored living it. This week I'll be posting more of my adventures in England so stay tuned...

4 comments:

kathleen marie said...

Hey! Good stuff...you know, you can never travel without a good airport story - I think it would be a shame if you hadn't had an eventful flight. :) Cause then what would you tell us?

Welcome home!

QueenBee said...

Oh man that is crazy! I would have been tearing my hair out by the end of that trip or I would have been totally calm (I only have two travel settings haha). Well at least you got home safe and I bet you had a wonderful time in England - can't wait to hear all about it.

Flip Flops Anonymous said...

I agree with Kathleen. Airports = drama/crazy stories. But hey, that's what makes life interesting right ;) Thanks for showing your pictures...I can't wait to hear more about your England adventures as the weeks progress (I'm sure there is much more to be revealed...DUN DUN DUN)

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Glad you got home safe - man that all would totally suck! Liz just got here and from what she said, the only airport drama was that they had to stop somewhere on the way to Hong Kong because they were low on fuel, and they had to wait in the plane for like an hour.

Yuck!