Thursday, January 18, 2007

So yeah, I went to England - Day One

December 27th my good buddy Shane Tarnow drove me to the airport and off I was to the UK. I was kinda nervous about the trip, didn't really know what to expect, but whatever.

The flight was nice...but the sound wasn't working properly at my seat so I couldn't watch the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I still have yet to watch it. One thing that I discovered! I'm comfortable with flying now, I wasn't so much before (hated takeoffs and landings). Now it was really no big deal at all, that surprised me.

One of my biggest concerns for this trip was jet lag. England is 8 hours ahead of us, so that means everyone is falling asleep at 11pm and to me it feels like 3 in the afternoon. My plan to beat this was to stay up most of the night before my flight, and then try to sleep on the plane, wake up just before we land at Heathrow, which would be noon (when I normally wake up anyways!). Sounds like a great plan, everything was working perfectly, but I could not sleep on the plane. What was I thinking?!?? So now I'm in London completely wiped cause I haven't slept much in two days.

I caught a train to King's Cross (that's the station where Harry Potter catches the Hogwarts Express!!!). Met up with Robyn there and sat down for a bite to eat. I was kind of out of it...Robyn filled me in some tips for getting by, we ate, don't really remember what else happened.

Then we got on the Tube and headed to Phil and Ingrid's place in South London. I was surprised to find the Tube was exactly like the skytrain but underground. I don't know what I was expecting really...maybe I was hoping it was like those pneumatic tubes they have in Costco to send their overflow cash to the back. That would have been an adventure to ride in!



I had met Phil and Ingrid before, but I didn't really get to know their kids (they were quite young the last time I saw them). But this time around I spent a lot of time playing with Silas and Beck. I don't remember how old they are (6 and 3 maybe?!?). Beck was sick so I mainly played with Silas. That kid is quite incredible! I have never met a child like him and I hope and pray that I have a child one day that is that unique and fun. The first thing he did was show me the crane that he had invented in his bedroom. That was fun, he had a bucket tied to a string hanging from the curtain rod. To get up to the curtain rod he climbed up the wall to get on top of this large wardrobe. I couldn't believe he just climbed up there?!?! And that's not the only thing he climbed...in the living room later on he pulled himself up onto the window and free-climbed his way across the other three windows. He had a lot of interesting facts about rockets and words he had learned. Plus he really enjoyed singing me to sleep so that he could sneak up to me and get his leg trapped in my hand, which could only be freed if he tickled my wrist. Yeah...hmm??!?

Then for supper we had Indian food, which was really really good. I don't normally like Indian food, so I was very happy when it tasted good. Then I went to bed and fell asleep pretty fast. I had been fighting the urge to sleep all evening so that I would pass out at the normal UK bedtime. I woke up once in the middle of the night but then fall back asleep and had a wonderful night's rest.

And thus concludes day one...

8 comments:

Flip Flops Anonymous said...

So I'm assuming there will be approximately 14 blog entries. I hope you kept a detailed diary (haha). I've never been a big fan of taking off/landing myself. I was a bit better this last trip to Ontario but yesh, ya still not a huge fan. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Indian food (SOOO yummy) and that you got to play with cool kids!! I love the little 'inventions" kids make...we should never stop making them...I think I'll go make something...

The Bean Bag Chair said...

Dang I miss England...and riding the tube. Did you pick up an accent?!!

Anonymous said...

The world is not ready for the super-tube yet.... But they will be. I hear they are building it in dubai... Keep the updates coming Dan! Great reads

arbyn said...

Um. Well it would be really cool if we actually went to Kings Cross.

Actually we met up in Paddington station...

Which is really cool too!

And I can tell you now, when you're home and safe, how surprised I was that I actually got there on time and picked the right platform to see you arrive because there were about five platforms with trains arriving from Heathrow every 15 minutes... yikes.

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

Haha! I should have written a diary while I was there...did we go to King's Cross when we left for Lincolnshire? I think that makes a whole lot more sense...

Anonymous said...

Yes we did. Good one!

- Robyn

Megs said...

thanks so much for the postcard! i got it today!!! wooo wooooooooooo! i can't believe they didn't remeber me in edinburgh!

kinneyland said...

Silas is five, and Beck is three, good job.
Adam always plays 'tickle drill' with them, which I think is painful, but they can't get enough of.