Friday, January 23, 2009

Hitchcock...Again!


So, yes, I love Alfred Hitchcock, but to my shame I have not seen all of his movies. You see, even though I like his films a lot, I have to admit most of them are pretty boring. So I've seen all the really good ones and now I'm sifting through the not-as-good ones.

Discounting the films that are lost, or where he only did partial work on them, Hitchcock has directed 52 films. I have seen 30 of them. Oh boy, I didn't realize I still have 22 movies to see. It's taken me about 10 yrs to watch 30!!! Well, I want to get this over with so I'm going to make a goal for myself. By March 15 I will watch the remaining 22 Hitchcock movies. That should be a challenge cause I don't know how I'll get my hands on a couple of them.


I watched the Lodger yesterday. It's a silent film. A few observations:


- The criminal of the story is a character who leaves a card with each victim that says "The Avenger" in a triangle. I also left secret messages calling myself the Dark Avenger. And when I formed the secret society known as the DDD club, the symbol was a triangle in a triangle.


- This was one of Hitchcock's first pictures and it's hard to believe that all the vehicles and the setting and everything was from that time period (1927). That was so long ago, but he was younger than me when he made it. Those cars seems like they're from the stone ages, but it really wasn't that long ago.

- The picture quality is horrible. I guess I should have expected that.


- I expected them to have dialogue boards pop up every time someone spoke, but I was amazed at how little they did this. Pretty much the whole movie people would be moving their lips and you would just have to assume what they were saying. I bet you could put all the dialogue shown on one page. When you think about it, you didn't even really need to hear what they were saying. Interesting, huh?


- I'm so used to watching TV and movies and such while also doing something else (like a puzzle or rubik's cube), but you can't do that with a silent film. You need to keep your eyes glued on the screen or you won't know what's going on.


- I thought the story was really incredible for its time. Not that I know much about movies from that time. I really liked the characters, the mood, the plot, and the acting. Well done Hitch!

No comments: