Monday, November 20, 2006

I'm going to England!

There are 3 destinations I have wanted to visit for some time: England, New York, and Italy. And I get to fulfill one of those dreams by travelling to the United Kingdom for 2 weeks right after Christmas.


I hope it still looks like this...

I am super excited about this trip...but it won't really hit me until I am on that plane. My good friend Robyn is living there right now and I am excited to have her as my guide. My tendency when travelling is to plan lots in advance, whereas Robyn likes to be more random and spontaneous. Ironically though, this trip I am the laid back one and Robyn has been crazy planning our itinerary and places to go. Click here to read Robyn's take on this...


For many years I have been a huge fan of English culture. I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. From TV I love Red Dwarf, the Office, Scrapheap Challenge, Mr. Bean and Who's Line is it Anyways? And how could you ever top the humour of Monty Python, especially Monty Python and the Holy Grail!!! Some of my favorite actors are from the UK: Jude Law, Clive Owen, Ewan McGregor, Kate Beckinsale, Anthony Hopkins, etc, etc. Oh, and don't get me started on Harry Potter, Alfred Hitchcock, C.S. Lewis, Scrooge, Snow Patrol, J.R.R. Tolkien, and of course the Spice Girls!!!


I'm not really sure what I want to do there though. I really want to just experience the culture and see the countryside...but if I have any high expectations, these are the 3 things I really want to see!

#1 - The British Museum

The British Museum in London is one of the world's largest and most important museums of human history and culture. Its collections, which number more than seven million objects from all continents, illustrate and document the story of human culture from its beginning to the present. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

#2 - Castles

How could I miss out on being inside a real live castle?!? From Lego Castle to Sword in the Stone to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure to Monty Python I have had this dream for some time. Did you ever play with the Fisher-Price Castle? That thing was sweet! It had a trap door, a drawbridge over a moat, and a hidden room behind a swinging staircase...AWESOME!!!


#3 - MADAME TUSSAUD'S WAX MUSEUM!!!

One of my favorite places is the wax museum in Victoria. I remember going there as a kid and my mom took me there for my 22nd birthday. What a great place to be! My cousins live in Victoria and everytime I see them I ask if they've been to the wax museum. They hate that. I don't care. I love it! My favorite thing, of course, is to get my picture taken with the wax figures. Now I get to go to the ultimate wax museum, the greatest wax museum ever created!!! Oh boy, Robyn is going to be so sick of me...

13 comments:

QueenBee said...

I'm so excited for you! I've been to England several times and I have to suggest that you go to the Tate - it's pretty cool.

Megs said...

...Sigh.... england.

Flip Flops Anonymous said...

Dang...I'm not in the "I've been to England" club. I know it's bad to covet, but I can't resist any longer...I COVET YOUR TRIP!! I have also always been fascinated by British culture and I love learning about history...ahh, so good!! Take lots of random photos of 'all things purely British' as well as tons of castle pictures!! I wanted to buy the Fort Castle, but, alas, I did not have 1.2 million dollars *sniff* One day I'll go in a real castle, one day...

Jerthom said...

Danno....I'm with you on the wax museum...I love the one in Victoria, and if I ever get to go to a different one, I am for sure going...have fun on your trip, take lots of pictures of the wax people (but don't melt them with your flash)
Jer

Anonymous said...

that first picture of robyn is so hott...i think you should take her to some place fancy...so she can wear her halloween costume again!

Jaclyn_Rose said...

I wanna see a castle :*( I also "covet" your trip ;) hehe

Oh man, but I can vouch for Dan being obsessed with wax museums! And my cousins would get rather annoyed when he would harass them for not going and telling them that he would go everyday if he lived there. Dan-I was just telling people about that the other cuz I was asking if they have wax museums here...if they do you have to come! Hehe

Do you have those pics from that time we went with mom? You should scan those and post them (my printer at home is a scanner, you can use that)

Anonymous said...

We never had the fisher-price castle, but the dentist did so I loved going to the dentist

Roberto said...

England is over-rated. Go to Wales, that's where all the cool people hang out...

arbyn said...

wales is in england.

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

umm, im pretty sure wales is beside england.

brent said...

what a jolly good time you'll have!! Have you ever heard what "brick" means in England?? (Maybe Robyn could confirm if this is true)???

arbyn said...

brick is a descriptive noun.

You're a brick.

The exact meaning is...

it's not bad.

and we'll argue about Wales later, dan. Just so you know. It's not a separate country. Same as Scotland. Don't listen to what the Scottish tell you.

Roberto said...

"wales is in england."
That's Welshist